There has been a huge uptick in terms of hiring diverse folks in the last 1-2 years. Some of it influenced by backlash by shareholders, some by government mandates and frankly, it has been proven to be of great advantage for corporations as it has been proven that corporations with diversity in their employee base make more money and are less volatile.
However, hiring diverse set of people is one challenge but retaining them is a different challenge in itself as a fundamental shift in organization’s culture and thinking needs to be reset.
Following are some of the technical strategies that can be adopted to do diversity sourcing.
- A singular or combination of he/her/hers/woman/women/female/mom/daughter/sister shall get you the desired results. However, it may not be substantial.
- Other relevant options you should consider:
- First or surname or top 100 baby name search for a specific ethnicity
- Career break search site:in.linkedin.com/in (“maternity leave” OR sabbatical OR “family related” OR caretaker OR “career break”) location title
- Women only colleges in a specific jurisdiction
- Top 20 HBCUs in US (For Black Professionals)
- LGBTQ + (LesbianswhoTech, QueerTechClub etc.)
- Women specific orgs (Women Who Code, Girls in Tech, Latinas in STEM, APIW, WIT, BAUW etc.)
- Some languages have different words for men and women for specific skills (Eg: in Spanish, programadora OR desarrolladora OR ingeniera gives you exclusively women names)
- Veterans (Army, Navy and Airforce). Key is to have veteran transition policies in place at your firm.
- Differently abled candidates (Visual, hearing, physical etc.)